AddThis Add TOO Much

I have a web-site which breaks every first visit because a mysterious rogue flash app was appearing (and presumably it's creators intended to be hidden) that traced back to Clearspring.com. There was absolutely no reference in the code (or in any user entered CMS area) relating to clearspring so this was bamboozling until I nailed it down to the javascript call out for the supposedly reputable AddThis.com. I thought that I was getting a convenient way to add pages to facebook, myspace, twitter etc. but OH YES AND MORE it seems once installed on your page they feel at liberty to put any manner of junk on your site.

Firstly, I don't want my pages broken.
Secondly, I don't want me or my customers to be tracked (presuming that's what this flash app does) without my knowledge
Thirdly, I don't know how well this (now trusted) intruder is written, and what potential security holes that entails. Hell, JUST RUNNING FLASH on a site that currently has none is a security risk in itself.

Basically - AddThis, you've added way too much, and that's not playing fair. Gits.

Comments

Justin Thorp said…
Hi, my name is Justin Thorp. I'm the Community Manager at Clearspring Technologies for the AddThis sharing platform.

My apologies if we were not as forthright with letting you know about the Flash cookie as we should have been.

The Flash cookie is a legacy system that we used with our previous platform Launchpad that we added to AddThis when we acquired it back in October 2008. The purpose of the Flash cookie it do things like provide better analytics for you about who's using your site and aide in things like personalizing the AddThis menu.

Over the last year, we've been working to really have a dialog with our users over this issue. We're committed to finding alternate ways of collecting the same information so that we can provide you with the same quality analytics that you and the industry desires. We hope to have advancements with that this year so that we won't have to use the Flash cookie.

That being said, there is a way to disable the Flash cookie on your blog when you install it. There is a call within our API. -
http://addthis.com/help/menu-api#configuration-ui

We really value your business and would love to continue to work with you. I hope that we can win your trust back. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me personally at justin@addthis.com.

Popular posts from this blog

Installing LAMP Apache/MySQL/PHP on Chromebook/Chromebox

Installing Ubuntu Linux on your ChromeBox/ChromeBook

Changing your Mac OSX Terminal's default text editor